Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Who should we serve?


I think a lot about wealth, poverty, and its impact on our community. I believe that I've mentioned before that I'm worried that a second ship may have sailed in this country leaving another sliver of our society in a perpetual state of poverty. It worries me that we can't have this conversation without flame throwing from both sides. I do believe that many in education are doing our work to make changes to this reality. Educators around the country know that even with all of the chips weighing down the possibility of success for kids in poverty, learning experiences and opportunities are still a possible escape route.

When thinking about the next phase of my career, I wonder about how I can best serve our global community. My answer continues to come back to working with schools and school districts that serve our children with the great needs, but there are moments when I ask if there is there a road to fulfillment that comes from reshaping the thinking and building the empathy of our wealthiest students? How do others struggle with these topics? I'm in need of clarity and advice.

2 comments:

  1. It's definitely something I have thought about often. I currently work at an elite school. Fortunately, it's a private school that seeks to have a public purpose by partnering with public and charter school to offer high quality professional learning, but its definitely something I still think about. I'm not sure it's an either/or proposition. We need quality folks serving in both settings. I have an opportunity through a private school that I cannot match in my community through the public sector--and I get to influence future influencers. I think that has merit, but I'm sure there are many who would disagree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We definitely need all of our future citizens having empathy in their heart, and a lens for seeing injustice and working toward a solution.

    ReplyDelete