Sunday, February 24, 2013

Whole Education

“Education is a holistic endeavor that involves the whole person, including our bodies, in a process of formation that aims our desires, primes our imagination, and orients us to the world — all before we ever start thinking about it.” James K.A. Smith

Sometimes I'm really struck by quotes. They resonate. I read them again, and the quote grows deeper and more meaningful until there is a sense that the words are elemental to my soul, my drive, and my sense of mission. This quote came from the On Being blog, one of favorite places for lateral capacity building (I encourage everyone to find non-education blogs and resources to supplement your learning. For me, it keeps my echo chamber from resonating too loudly). The quote brings me sadness because so many of our students are not receiving education in this life-filling way, but it gives me hope because I know that there are so many educators out there that really want this to be the reality of our work. Let each day be an opportunity to provide whole education to each of the children that we serve. 

No comments:

Post a Comment