Friday, August 10, 2012

Redefining Math

I have the opportunity to work with an incredible group of math teachers this year as the administrator to the 6-12 Curriculum Action Team for math. I'm very excited about this opportunity, and I have been working on my ideas to circulate among the group as those informal moments of conversation arise. The new Common Core assessment are going to as students to apply math to real-world situation at a greater intensity than ever before, and it is going to require a true disruptive vision of mathematics to prepare kids for this reality. I have been asking a number of folks on Twitter (@ideaguy42) whether it would make sense for our kids to take a sequence of classes on data analysis, engineering design, and economics instead of Algebra, Geometry and Calculus. There are others asking the same questions. Check out this TED talk.

No comments:

Post a Comment