Wednesday, August 15, 2012

I Ran Out Of Time

Classes start in just a few minutes for the 2012-13 school year, and I realized this morning that I haven't figured it all out yet. I worked hard in the summer to figure out how the mission, vision of our school connected with best practices new and old, but even with my studious summer, I'm not sure that I'm anywhere closer to the right answers. I've been staring at some images all summer, trying to figure out how they fit into the truth. I was hoping that on this #leadershipday12 that the wisdom of the crowd could help me make sense of it all. Thanks to everyone in my learning network for making me a better person. Here is to a start year of learning with leadership humble enough to realize that we don't have all or most of the answers.

THIRD HORIZON...
I want to be a third horizon leader that pushes the educational community into a future with a huge upside, but it takes courage, risk, and a waltz that I'm not sure that I'm ready for. Can we do this together?


10,000 ft view...
I vow to work harder than ever to not get caught in the weeds of managing a school, so that it is possible to see the distant future. I'm looking for allies of teacher leaders and school leaders to join me in this cause. 


PASSION-BASED LEARNING....

Is there anyone left that doesn't believe that engaging a student's passion for learning isn't paramount? It is so hard to believe that turning a truth into a day-to-day reality is so hard. I'm battling old mental models, for-profit swoops on education, and the momentum of the past. Please help. 
BEING NIMBLE...
The most innovative companies are using design thinking, but it remains in its infancy in schools. I want to learn more. I want to take classes at the d school at Stanford. Is Design Thinking one of the keys to our future?


NEXT GENERATION PROJECT BASED LEARNING...
Thanks to Bo Adams for stretching my thinking about PBL. He has been working to help teachers and schools shift to this highly engaging way for kids to do deep learning that helps kids have an authentic audience for their real-world, community-focus work. I want to push past that model, so that my kids can inspire change in the world. 
10,000 HOURS...
How do we help our teachers get to 10,000 hours as quickly as possible?

No comments:

Post a Comment