Friday, December 6, 2013

Memphis Marathon Preview

Running has been a part of my attempt to maintain a healthy journey for my body for almost ten years now. It has allowed me to be healthier at 40 than at 30, and I hope that running will help me continue to bend the arc of aging for the next decade. It has led me to new depths about what was possible for me physically as I've driven my times in both the half marathon and marathon to a space that amazes almost every non-runner. There are moments in running that are more important than the finish line and the time displayed when you finish. It can be the first race after an injury when you are able to say "I'm back". It can be a race when you supported a cause with your legs. It can be a run that shines beauty into your soul as you are one with nature. It can be the run to release the stress that comes from losing someone or something. Running serves me, and I hope that I serve running. As I line up for the Memphis Marathon tomorrow morning in some of the toughest conditions that I've run for a race of this length, I remain focused on two things. The first is assisting those around me make it to the finish line to achieve their goal of their first marathon or another deeper goal that drives them to put one foot in front of the next. The second is to run for those that can't. I've always told folks that I run because I can, which has always implied the truth, there are folks that are suffering or have suffered in ways that don't allow them the joy that comes from running. Tomorrow, the kids at St Jude's Hospital will be in my heart, my family and friends that have lost someone recently will be driving me , and all of those that are no longer in a position to put one foot in front of the next in the pursuit of making their way from the start line to the finish line will give me strength. Feel free to send your thoughts and prayers on our way as we journey tomorrow. You can track our progress here. Also, if you want to get a sense of what I'll be feel tomorrow, check out the video below.

5 comments:

  1. Well said. Have a great journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck!! There is just something special about running a marathon.. it is basically what life is like, with all the ups and downs :) I hope your marathon is nothing like that video!! Try to carry a little #BostonStrong with you along the way too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did you do? That is an awesome environment. My husband ran that about 3 years ago and we had a blast watching and cheering everyone on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry it got cancelled on you. The roads were fine, but the decision to cancel was looking at a bigger picture (volunteers, officials, state of emergency, etc). Hopefully you'll try again next year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, the video was hilarious. I'm still disappointed, but after a week of rest I'm ready to hit the streets again. Looking forward to seeing you again next month.

    ReplyDelete